- Also called quadrat. a piece of type metal of less height than the lettered types, serving to cause a blank in printed matter, used for spacing.
- to space out (matter) by means of quads.
Origin of quad2
- short for quadrangle (def. 2)
- printing a block of type metal used for spacing
- a variant spelling of quod
- short for quadruplet (def. 1)
- short for quadraphonic or quadraphonicsSee quadraphonic
- anatomy short for quadriceps
Word Origin and History for quadding
1820 as a shortening of quadrangle (n.) in the building sense (in this case "quadrangle of a college," Oxford student slang); 1880 as short for quadrat (n.); 1896 as quadruplet (n.), originally "bicycle for four riders;" later "one of four young at a single birth" (1951, of armadillos); 1970 as quadraphonic (adj.). Related: Quads.