- square or rectangular.
- Zoology. of or relating to the quadrate.
- Heraldry. (of a cross) having an enlarged square at the junction of the limbs: a cross quadrate.
- a square.
- something square or rectangular.
- Zoology. one of a pair of bones in the skulls of many lower vertebrates, to which the lower jaw is articulated.
- to cause to conform or harmonize; adapt.
- to agree; conform.
Origin of quadrate
Related Words for quadrateaccord, square, concert, fit, concord, tally, equal, check, click, jibe, match, suit, answer, chime, blend, parallel, consort, attune, cohere, coincide
Examples from the Web for quadrate
Historical Examples of quadrate
But some magnitudes there are which have no common measure, as the Diagony of a quadrate and his side, 116.
This is the rate of a quadrate with a rectangle and a quadrate.
A quadrate inscribed is the halfe of that which is circumscribed.
For the rectangle of the segments, and the quadrate, are made of one side, and of the segments of the other.
Here the first quadrate oy, is five times as great, as the second su.
- a cube, square, or a square or cubelike object
- one of a pair of bones of the upper jaw of fishes, amphibians, reptiles, and birds that articulates with the lower jaw. In mammals it forms the incus
- of or relating to this bone
- square or rectangular
- (tr) to make square or rectangular
- (often foll by with) to conform or cause to conform
Word Origin for quadrate
- Having four sides and four angles; square or rectangular.