- a quarter, or a fourth part, especially of certain weights and measures, as of a pound, ounce, peck, or pint.
Origin of quartern
Related Words for quarternterm, portion, part, fourth, division, span, section, semester, quad, quadrant, farthing, quartern
Examples from the Web for quartern
Historical Examples of quartern
"Half a quartern," stammered the boy, in a frightened voice.What the Moon Saw: and Other Tales
Hans Christian Andersen
On March 5, 1801, the price of the quartern loaf stood as high as 1s.The Political History of England - Vol XI
He recollects the quartern loaf at 2¼d., primest meat at 1d.
Drink—well, suppose a gentleman does take his quartern, is it a crime?No Defense, Complete
A quartern is a quarter of a gill, which is about the “dash” of rum.Stage-coach and Tavern Days
Alice Morse Earle
- a fourth part of certain weights or measures, such as a peck or a pound
- Also called: quartern loaf British
- a type of loaf 4 inches square, used esp for making sandwiches
- any loaf weighing 1600 g when baked