- a native or inhabitant of Quebec, especially one who is from the city of Quebec and whose native language is French.
Origin of Quebecer
First recorded in 1830–40; Quebec
[key-be-kwah; French key-be-kwa]
noun, plural Qué·bec·ois [key-be-kwah, -kwahz; French key-be-kwa] /ˌkeɪ bɛˈkwɑ, -ˈkwɑz; French keɪ bɛˈkwa/.
- a person, especially a member of the Parti Québecois, who supports the separation and independence of the province of Quebec from the rest of Canada.
- the variety of French spoken in the province of Quebec.
- relating to or characteristic of Quebec, its inhabitants, or the variety of French spoken there.
Origin of Québecois
dating back to 1870–75;
see origin at Quebec
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
British Dictionary definitions for quebecoises
- a native or inhabitant of the province of Quebec, esp a French-speaking one
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012