Origin of quilted
- a coverlet for a bed, made of two layers of fabric with some soft substance, as wool or down, between them and stitched in patterns or tufted through all thicknesses in order to prevent the filling from shifting.
- anything quilted or resembling a quilt.
- a bedspread or counterpane, especially a thick one.
- Obsolete. a mattress.
- to stitch together (two pieces of cloth and a soft interlining), usually in an ornamental pattern.
- to sew up between pieces of material.
- to pad or line with material.
- to make quilts or quilted work.
Origin of quilt
Related Words for quiltedquilted, stuff, cover, fill, bedeck, knit, decorate, embellish, stitch, filled, motley, spotted, diversified, variegated, quilt, overlay, wad, bush, face, reinforce
Examples from the Web for quilted
Contemporary Examples of quilted
That fuzzy voice which was so foreign three nights ago suddenly felt like a quilted hug.YouTube’s Sleep Whisperers Are A Sexy Way To Combat Insomnia
May 3, 2014
The image published in the Time showed Smith, photographed from above, lying on a quilted bed while a nurse helped pose her body.The Gray Lady Gets an Artistic Makeover
May 2, 2014
Luxury Goods Prices Soar: Believe it or not, the price of a quilted Chanel bag has increased by 70 percent since 2009.Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Set a Wedding Date; Luxury Goods Prices Soar
The Fashion Beast Team
March 6, 2014
And his fall collection was, indeed, one of his best, with his quilted ponchos and slightly beaten-up knits.New York Fashion Week's Mean Girls
February 15, 2011
The simplest type of parallel world Greene describes is called the quilted multiverse.Welcome to the Multiverse!
February 11, 2011
Historical Examples of quilted
She was as afraid of him as of the masterful dead woman in the quilted wrapper.The Prisoner
The rest of us quilted a while by candles, and got the second quilt done at about seven.Quilts
Marie D. Webster
He had taken off his mail, and wore only his quilted white under-tunic.The Saracen: The Holy War
The quilt was of pink satin, and it was quilted in patterns.Short Stories
Quilted Helmet of nearly the same form as fig. 20, from India.The Evolution of Culture
Augustus Henry Lane-Fox Pitt-Rivers
- a thick warm cover for a bed, consisting of a soft filling sewn between two layers of material, usually with crisscross seams
- a bedspread or counterpane
- anything quilted or resembling a quilt
- to stitch together (two pieces of fabric) with (a thick padding or lining) between themto quilt cotton and wool
- to create (a garment, covering, etc) in this way
- to pad with material
- Australian informal to strike; clout
Word Origin for quilt
Word Origin and History for quilted
c.1300, "mattress with soft lining," from Anglo-French quilte, Old French cuilte, coute "quilt, mattress" (12c.), from Latin culcita "mattress, bolster," of unknown origin. Sense of "thick outer bed covering" is first recorded 1590s.