[kwin-tuhp-lit, -too-plit, -tyoo-, kwin-too-plit, -tyoo-]
- any group or combination of five, especially of the same kind.
- quintuplets, five children or offspring born of one pregnancy.
- one of five such children or offspring.
- Music. a group of five notes of equal value performed in the time normally taken for four.
Origin of quintuplet
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for quintupletcinquefoil, pentangle, pentagram, quintuple, lustrum, cinque, quinquennium, pentacle, quintuplet, pentagon, limerick, pentad, quincunx, quinquennial, quintuplicate
Examples from the Web for quintuplet
Historical Examples of quintuplet
Quintole, quintuplet—a group of five notes to be performed in the time ordinarily given to four notes of the same value.Music Notation and Terminology
Karl W. Gehrkens
- a group or set of five similar things
- one of five offspring born at one birthOften shortened to: quin
- music a group of five notes to be played in a time value of three, four, or some other value
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
[kwĭn-tŭp′lĭt, -tōō′plĭt, kwĭn′tə-plĭt]
- One of five offspring born in a single birth.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.