- preying upon other animals; predatory.
- adapted for seizing prey, as the bill or claws of a bird.
- belonging or pertaining to the Raptores, a former order in which the falconiform and strigiform birds were erroneously grouped together.
Origin of raptorial
Related Words for raptorialrapacious, voracious, greedy, marauding, ravening, bloodthirsty, carnivorous, hungry, hunting, preying, thieving, predacious, raptorial, ravaging, vulturine, vulturous, wolfish
Examples from the Web for raptorial
Historical Examples of raptorial
The other raptorial birds possess little to distinguish them from those of other countries.
To every migratory species of raptorial bird, that captures living quarry, there is a non-migratory counterpart or near relative.A Bird Calendar for Northern India
Four raptorial birds are now seen about this, or rather three, for Gypaëtos has gone, viz.
Diurnal to crepuscular habits of this mouse may protect it from some of the nocturnal carnivorous mammals and raptorial birds.Speciation and Evolution of the Pygmy Mice, Genus Baiomys
Robert L. Packard
Raptorial birds are known to be important predators on snakes.Natural History of the Racer Coluber constrictor
Henry S. Fitch
- (of the feet of birds) adapted for seizing prey
- (esp of birds) feeding on prey; predatory
- of or relating to birds of prey