- having a flat, unkeeled sternum, as an ostrich, cassowary, emu, or moa.
- a bird having a ratite breastbone.
Origin of ratite
Examples from the Web for ratite
Historical Examples of ratite
The arrangement bears a great resemblance to that of Ratite birds.The Vertebrate Skeleton
Sidney H. Reynolds
Like other Ratite birds it will take to the water, and examples have been seen voluntarily swimming a wide river.
Lastly must be noted the extinct tall Ratite species of Aepyornis with its several fancy genera.
- (of flightless birds) having a breastbone that lacks a keel for the attachment of flight muscles
- of or denoting the flightless birds, formerly classified as a group (the Ratitae), that have a flat breastbone, feathers lacking vanes, and reduced wings
- a bird, such as an ostrich, kiwi, or rhea, that belongs to this group; a flightless bird