- a high school or college athlete kept out of varsity competition for one year to develop skills and extend eligibility.
- a child held back from starting kindergarten for one year, the practice of which is believed by some parents to give the child academic, athletic, and social advantages.
- to withdraw (an athlete) from varsity competition for one year.
- to delay (a child) from starting kindergarten for one year: They redshirt their kids because they think it gives them a competitive edge.
- (of an athlete) to withdraw from varsity competition for one year: He redshirted in 2010, only to come back faster and stronger the following season.
- to delay a child from starting kindergarten for one year: Would you redshirt if your kid’s preschool teacher recommended it?
Origin of redshirt
Words nearby redshirt
How to use redshirt in a sentence
The 6-foot-9 redshirt junior forward sat out last season per NCAA transfer rules.No. 20 Virginia Tech men’s basketball defying expectations as it climbs ACC standings|Gene Wang|January 15, 2021|Washington Post
Adams became one of the most prolific wideouts in the country as a redshirt sophomore, catching 131 passes for 1,719 yards and 24 touchdowns.All great QBs are linked with great receivers. Aaron Rodgers finally has his match in Davante Adams.|Adam Kilgore|January 15, 2021|Washington Post
After Rogers was granted a medical redshirt, he returned to the starting lineup and is finding plenty of ways to contribute.At 5-foot-2, a college guard puts up numbers that overshadow his height|Rick Maese|December 26, 2020|Washington Post
Sam Hauser, a redshirt senior forward, is Virginia’s leading scorer, and Joey Hauser, a redshirt junior forward, leads the Spartans in scoring.Virginia men’s basketball postpones three games, and the Villanova game is in jeopardy|Gene Wang|December 11, 2020|Washington Post
The redshirt sophomore missed one game while in the concussion protocol and since rejoining the starting lineup has directed Virginia to four victories, including three in which it scored at least 43 points.A strange season ends in a familiar place with Virginia facing Virginia Tech|Gene Wang|December 10, 2020|Washington Post