noun, plural re·dun·dan·cies.
- the inclusion of more information than is necessary for communication, as in those cars, where both words are marked for plurality.
- the additional, predictable information so included.
- the degree of predictability thereby created.
- the condition or fact of being unemployed; unemployment.
- a layoff.
Words nearby redundancy
Origin of redundancy
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH redundancyredundancy tautology
Examples from the Web for redundancy
Redundancy in general remains an issue for Wolcott: “white-boned,” “pale-moon,” “bulk-sized,” “streaming cataract,” “forlorn rue.”The Obligation to be Interesting: James Wolcott’s “Critical Mass”|William Giraldi|October 24, 2013|DAILY BEAST
The stakes are so great that you would think the people who own and run them would invest heavily in redundancy.NASDAQ Goes Down, but the Scary Part Is Any Lack of Sensible Explanation|Daniel Gross|August 22, 2013|DAILY BEAST
Markets usually have a lot of redundancy built into them--multiple payers, multiple suppliers.
In conditions of uncertainty, all avenues must be explored even at the expense of redundancy and wasted resources.
There exists simultaneously a redundancy of both factors in production.The Evolution of Modern Capitalism|John Atkinson Hobson
Would not this redundancy prove it the work of a school rather than one hand?The Cathedral Builders|Leader Scott
The redundancy of insect and reptile life is wonderful in Southern India.Foot-prints of Travel|Maturin M. Ballou
Redundancy has been mistaken for plenitude, flimsiness for ease, and distortion for energy.Coelebs In Search of a Wife|Hannah More
The redundancy of unmarried young women should set people thinking on the causes for so much enforced celibacy.
British Dictionary definitions for redundancy
noun plural -cies
- the state or condition of being redundant or superfluous, esp superfluous in one's job
- (as modifier)a redundancy payment
Cultural definitions for redundancy
Unnecessary repetition in speech or writing. The expression freedom and liberty is redundant.