- with regard to; respecting; concerning: He said nothing regarding the lost watch.
Origin of regarding
- to look upon or think of with a particular feeling: to regard a person with favor.
- to have or show respect or concern for.
- to think highly of; esteem.
- to take into account; consider.
- to look at; observe: She regarded him with amusement.
- to relate to; concern: The news does not regard the explosion.
- to see, look at, or conceive of in a particular way; judge (usually followed by as): I regard every assignment as a challenge. They regarded his behavior as childish.
- to pay attention.
- to look or gaze.
- reference; relation: to err with regard to facts.
- an aspect, point, or particular: quite satisfactory in this regard.
- thought; attention; concern.
- look; gaze.
- respect, esteem, or deference: a high regard for scholarship.
- kindly feeling; liking.
- regards, sentiments of esteem or affection: Give them my regards.
- as regards. as1(def 27).
- with/in regard to, referring to; concerning: With regard to the new contract, we have some questions.Also Informal, with/in regards to.
Origin of regard
Synonyms for regardSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for regarding
Contemporary Examples of regarding
Lee explains the success of its store-within-a-store strategy, particularly as regarding Samsung.Best Buy Punches Back at Amazon
December 27, 2014
Regarding Muslims, we have clearly seen in recent times an uptick in anti—Muslim bigotry.Muslims & Jews Unite vs. Abercrombie & Fitch
December 16, 2014
She felt compelled to come forward because the allegations in that case seem similar to her own regarding Cosby.Here’s What She’d Tell Bill Cosby Today
December 9, 2014
Where is the outrage of Sharpton regarding the death of Zemir Begic?It’s Time to Hold Protesters Accountable
December 4, 2014
We have seen the GOP use it effectively in the past regarding gay marriage, Muslims, blacks and Latinos.Republicans Want You Scared of Ebola
October 27, 2014
Historical Examples of regarding
“Ay, ay,” said Tibble, regarding him with a well-pleased face.The Armourer's Prentices
Charlotte M. Yonge
Percival felt they were all regarding him now with affectionate concern.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
Making light of God's Word, or regarding and treating it as the word of man.An Explanation of Luther's Small Catechism
Chip rode close and stopped, regarding her with satisfaction from the saddle.Chip, of the Flying U
B. M. Bower
He was leaning towards Jane, regarding her with melancholy tenderness.Quaint Courtships
- in respect of; on the subject of
- to look closely or attentively at (something or someone); observe steadily
- (tr) to hold (a person or thing) in respect, admiration, or affectionwe regard your work very highly
- (tr) to look upon or consider in a specified wayshe regarded her brother as her responsibility
- (tr) to relate to; concern; have a bearing on
- to take notice of or pay attention to (something); heedhe has never regarded the conventions
- as regards (preposition) in respect of; concerning
- a gaze; look
- attention; heedhe spends without regard to his bank balance
- esteem, affection, or respect
- reference, relation, or connection (esp in the phrases with regard to or in regard to)
- (plural) good wishes or greetings (esp in the phrase with kind regards, used at the close of a letter)
- in this regard on this point
Word Origin for regard
Word Origin and History for regarding
mid-14c., "a consideration; a judgment," from Old French regard, from regarder "take notice of," from re-, intensive prefix + garder "look, heed" (see guard (n.)). Meanings "a look, appearance; respect, esteem, favor, kindly feeling which springs from a consideration of estimable qualities" all recorded late 14c. Phrase in regard to is from mid-15c. (Chaucer uses at regard of).
mid-14c., "consider" (that something is so), from Middle French regarder "to look at," from regard (see regard (n.)). Meaning "look upon, observe" is from 1520s, as is that of "observe a certain respect toward." Related: Regarded; regarding.
Idioms and Phrases with regarding
see in regard to.