- Government. the principle or system of dividing a city, state, etc., into separate administrative regions.
- advocacy of such a principle or system.
- a speech form, expression, custom, or other feature peculiar to or characteristic of a particular area.
- devotion to the interests of one's own region.
- Literature. the theory or practice of emphasizing the regional characteristics of locale or setting, as by stressing local speech.
- (often initial capital letter) a style of American painting developed chiefly 1930–40 in which subject matter was derived principally from rural areas.
Origin of regionalism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Wordspatois, vocabulary, language, accent, idiom, pronunciation, vernacular, lingo, tongue, jargon, terminology, slang, patter, argot, cant, provincialism, localism, regionalism
Examples from the Web for regionalism
Regionalism in publishing can be a great spur to revitalization of reading.5 Ways to Fix Book Publishing
July 12, 2013
Regionalism, poverty and well-armed militias pose serious threats.Libya Slogs Toward Democracy
July 24, 2012
The country is riven by tribalism, regionalism and a host of armed militias who so far have refused to disarm.A Ray of Light in Islamist Gloom
July 17, 2012
Much of it cannot be segregated; the earthworm, on which Darwin wrote a book, knows nothing of regionalism.Guide to Life and Literature of the Southwest
J. Frank Dobie
Here another word of explanation is necessary to show clearly the precise meaning of regionalism in China.The Fight For The Republic in China
Bertram Lenox Putnam Weale
- division of a country into administrative regions having partial autonomy
- advocacy of such division
- loyalty to one's home region; regional patriotism
- the common interests of national groups, people, etc, living in the same part of the world
- a word, custom, accent, or other characteristic associated with a specific region
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for regionalism
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper