- to sail, as in a particular direction.
- to draw or pull a vessel up on land, as for repairs or storage.
- (of the wind) to shift to a direction closer to the heading of a vessel (opposed to veer).
- (of the wind) to change direction, shift, or veer (often followed byround or to).
- the quantity of fish taken at one draft of the net.
- the draft of a fishing net.
- the place where a seine is hauled.
- Nautical. to change a ship's course so as to get farther off from an object.
- to withdraw; leave.
- Informal. to draw back the arm in order to strike; prepare to deal a blow: He hauled off and struck the insolent lieutenant a blow to the chin.
- to bring before a superior for judgment or reprimand; call to account.
- to come to a halt; stop.
- Nautical. to change the course of (a sailing vessel) so as to sail closer to the wind.
- Nautical. (of a sailing vessel) to come closer to the wind.
- Nautical. (of a vessel) to come to a halt.
Idioms about haul
- to brace (certain yards of a sailing vessel).
- (of the wind) to change in a clockwise direction.
Origin of haul
synonym study for haul
OTHER WORDS FROM haulre·haul, verbun·hauled, adjective
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH haulhall, haul
How to use haul in a sentence
The Fed met this week and stated they are in it for the long haul and will do what is needed in the interest rate complex until we reach desired inflation and employment targets.Fixed mortgage rates tumble to lowest levels in history|Kathy Orton|December 17, 2020|Washington Post
In 2019, Ars readers raised over $33,000 for charity, contributing to a total haul of more than $330,000 since 2007.Win laptops, smartwatches, and more in the 2020 Ars Technica Charity Drive|Kyle Orland|December 4, 2020|Ars Technica
Milwaukee will now wait to see whether its offseason haul was enough to convince franchise centerpiece Giannis Antetokounmpo to sign a supermax contract extension.NBA free agency updates: Lakers get tougher while Jayson Tatum, Donovan Mitchell ink max extensions|Ben Golliver|November 23, 2020|Washington Post
With our new IonQ system, we expect to be able to encode multiple qubits to tolerate errors, the holy grail for scaling quantum computers in the long haul.IonQ claims it has built the most powerful quantum computer yet|Frederic Lardinois|October 1, 2020|TechCrunch
Last year, the company dumped an enormous pile of new devices onto the market at this event, and we’re expecting a similarly massive haul this year.Amazon’s Fall 2020 products announcements include a security camera drone that flies around your house|Stan Horaczek|September 24, 2020|Popular-Science
Luella Bartley Heads to Marc by Marc: Marc by Marc Jacobs is set for a total rehaul.Luella Bartley Heads to Marc by Marc Jacobs; Dov Charney Likens Bangladesh Factory Disasters to 9-11|The Fashion Beast Team|May 31, 2013|DAILY BEAST
British Dictionary definitions for haul
- in a future time
- over a lengthy period of time
Word Origin for haul
Other Idioms and Phrases with haul
In addition to the idioms beginning with haul
- haul off
- haul over the coals
- haul up
- long haul
- rake (haul) over the coals