verb (used with object)
- the vertical dimension amidships of any square sail that is hoisted with a yard.Compare drop(def 28).
- the distance between the hoisted and the lowered position of such a yard.
- the dimension of a fore-and-aft sail along the luff.
- a number of flags raised together as a signal.
- the vertical dimension as flown from a vertical staff.
- the edge running next to the staff.Compare fly1(def 30b).
Related formshoist·er, nounun·hoist·ed, adjective
Definition for hoist (2 of 2)
verb (used with object), hoised or hoist, hois·ing. Archaic.
Origin of hoise
Examples from the Web for hoist
Hoist that big historical asterisk skyward and place it next to his name.
Carter scurried back to Mace and reached down to hoist him up.
But a significant number of your fellow citizens have a very different vision as they hoist the flag.
But the regime's canons push them back before they can hoist their flag over the liberated barracks.Syria: Would a No-Fly Zone Help the Rebels Oust Assad?|Barak Barfi|September 11, 2012|DAILY BEAST
Republicans beyond Romney were also quick to hoist the “repeal” banner—calling a vote in the House on July 9.
The boats were cast adrift, as the crews were too exhausted to hoist them in, and the Flamingo's nose was turned toward Liverpool.A Master of Fortune|Cutcliffe Hyne
There he would ride out the storm and hoist sail when the weather moderated.The Old Merchant Marine|Ralph D. Paine
Heave again, and, when you are a-weigh, put the helm to port and hoist the jib.The Seaman's Friend|Richard Henry Dana
Helm a-lee; bring the main-tack aboard, haul the bowlines, hoist the top-gallants.Gargantua and Pantagruel, Complete.|Francois Rabelais
The kettle to the top was hoist, And there stood fastened to a joist; But with the upside down, to show Its inclination for below.The Battle of the Books|Jonathan Swift
British Dictionary definitions for hoist
- the amidships height of a sail bent to the yard with which it is hoistedCompare drop (def. 15)
- the difference between the set and lowered positions of this yard