- (of a design) raised in relief by hammering on the reverse side.
- ornamented or made in this kind of raised work.
- the art or process of producing repoussé designs.
Origin of repoussé
Examples from the Web for repousse
Historical Examples of repousse
After the repousse part of the frame is done, clean it with kerosene and pickle.Copper Work
Augustus F. Rose
A rectangular plaque of gold, repousse and gilt, bearing inscriptions in Greek.The Churches of Paris
S. Sophia Beale
Their breastplates were adorned with arabesques or repousse work of the highest art.The Young Carthaginian
- raised in relief, as a design on a thin piece of metal hammered through from the underside
- decorated with such designs
- a design or surface made in this way
- the technique of hammering designs in this way