- the act of asking for something to be given or done, especially as a favor or courtesy; solicitation or petition: At his request, they left.
- an instance of this: There have been many requests for the product.
- a written statement of petition: If you need supplies, send in a request.
- something asked for: to obtain one's request.
- the state of being asked for; demand.
- to ask for, especially politely or formally: He requested permission to speak.
- to ask or beg; bid (usually followed by a clause or an infinitive): to request that he leave; to request to be excused.
- to ask or beg (someone) to do something: He requested me to go.
- by request, in response or accession to a request: The orchestra played numbers by request.
Origin of request
SynonymsSee more synonyms for request on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for requesting
Also, requesting world peace implies that there are no bad guys in the world who need to be fought.Santa Fails One More Time
P. J. O’Rourke
December 27, 2014
And it is only a temporary (though indefinite) order, requesting a response from the ACLU.Gay Marriage Chaos Begins
November 11, 2014
The big twist is that by requesting those documents, Hall did in fact uncover a nepotism problem plaguing UT admissions.The University of Texas’s Machiavellian War on Its Regent
October 27, 2014
An email to the publicist for Goldberg and McCarthy, requesting comment, was not answered as of this writing.Massacre at ‘The View’: Sherri Shepherd and Jenny McCarthy Reportedly Fired
June 27, 2014
And now here he is, accused of doing (or requesting others do) the same thing.Who Isn’t Investigating Chris Christie?
June 25, 2014
The requesting of permission to do so, it struck him, might open the way to conversation.One Day's Courtship
I noticed that many of the readers wrote in, requesting reprints.
Or, at all events, the lady might not know what had become of them and be requesting their return.Fair Harbor
Joseph Crosby Lincoln
Editors of other periodicals began to write to me requesting contributions.Kent Knowles: Quahaug
Joseph C. Lincoln
I opened it; it was a message from Lady Charlotte, requesting to see me in her room.Jack Hinton
Charles James Lever
- to express a desire for, esp politely; ask for or demandto request a bottle of wine
- the act or an instance of requesting, esp in the form of a written statement; petition or solicitationa request for a song
- (as modifier)a request programme
- at the request of in accordance with the specific demand or wish of (someone)
- by request in accordance with someone's desire
- in request in demand; popularhe is in request in concert halls all over the world
- on request on the occasion of a demand or requestapplication forms are available on request
Word Origin and History for requesting
mid-14c., from Old French requeste (Modern French requête) "a request," from Vulgar Latin *requaesita, from Latin requisita "a thing asked for," fem. of requisitus "requested, demanded," from past participle stem of requirere (see require).
1530s, from request (n.) or from Middle French requester, from Old French requester "ask again, request, reclaim," from requeste. Related: Requested; requesting.
Idioms and Phrases with requesting
see at someone's request; by request; on request.