- a controversy that is submitted to a judicial tribunal or administrative agency for decision.
- the interrogation by which information is secured.
- Obsolete. judicial examination or trial.
verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
SYNONYMS FOR question
QUIZ YOURSELF ON AFFECT VS. EFFECT!
Idioms for question
- to dispute; challenge.
- to cast doubt upon; question: This report calls into question all previous research on the subject.
- under consideration.
- in dispute.
Origin of question
synonym study for question
OTHER WORDS FROM question
Example sentences from the Web for question
I want you to question me and requestion me on anything you want, plus the fact I do want the tests when they are available.Warren Commission (5 of 26): Hearings Vol. V (of 15)|The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy
British Dictionary definitions for question
- an act of asking
- an investigation into some problem or difficulty
- to avoid giving a direct answer by posing another question
- to assume the truth of that which is intended to be provedSee petitio principii
- to make (something) the subject of disagreement
- to cast doubt upon the validity, truth, etc, of (something)
verb (mainly tr)
Derived forms of questionquestioner, noun
Word Origin for question
usage for question
Idioms and Phrases with question
see ask a stupid question; beg the question; beside the point (question); beyond question; burning question; call in question; in question; leading question; loaded question; open question; out of the question; pop the question; rhetorical question; without question.