- the fact or condition of being difficult.
- Often difficul·ties. an embarrassing situation, especially of financial affairs.
- a trouble or struggle.
- a cause of trouble, struggle, or embarrassment.
- a disagreement or dispute.
- reluctance; unwillingness.
- a demur; objection.
- something that is hard to do, understand, or surmount; an impediment or obstacle.
Origin of difficulty
Synonyms for difficultySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for difficultypredicament, complication, dilemma, hardship, hazard, snag, obstacle, struggle, frustration, pain, trouble, deadlock, crisis, adversity, stress, anxiety, embarrassment, inconvenience, setback, strife
Examples from the Web for difficulty
Contemporary Examples of difficulty
The difficulty with Mr. Redford is, you see, as I understand it, he gets one million dollars a picture.Alfred Hitchcock’s Fade to Black: The Great Director’s Final Days
December 13, 2014
I do realize the difficulty in totally canceling productions of this opera.Rudy Giuliani: Why I Protested ‘The Death of Klinghoffer’
October 20, 2014
The battle to secure that funding is testament to the difficulty in making truly independent movies.Mike Leigh Is the Master Filmmaker Who Hates Hollywood
October 14, 2014
Mary and Tom are concerned for Cumming, too, “as in the past there has been difficulty.”Alan Cumming: The Truth About My Father
October 14, 2014
The fewer diagnostic criteria required to call a person impaired, the more “any difficulty whatsoever” can be deemed impairment.Daydreaming Is Not a Disorder
October 4, 2014
Historical Examples of difficulty
Mr. Paine looked up as he entered, and had no difficulty in guessing his errand.Brave and Bold
She managed it with difficulty between the convulsions that were rending her.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
But there is one difficulty which it is impossible to remove.The Grand Old Man
Richard B. Cook
He climbed down with difficulty, clutching one hand with the other.Way of the Lawless
You think of your wife, grappling with a kind of difficulty to which she is unaccustomed.The Conquest of Fear
- the state or quality of being difficult
- a task, problem, etc, that is hard to deal with
- (often plural) a troublesome or embarrassing situation, esp a financial one
- a dispute or disagreement
- (often plural) an objection or obstaclehe always makes difficulties
- a trouble or source of trouble; worry
- lack of ease; awkwardnesshe could run only with difficulty