- the state or process of being sensitized.
- Psychology. the process of becoming susceptible to a given stimulus that previously had no effect or significance.
- a state or condition in which a previously encountered foreign substance triggers an immune reaction.
- an immunologic state or condition that is evidenced by the acquired ability of a cell or individual to detect the presence of a foreign substance upon reexposure to the substance and to react immunologically.
Origin of sensitization
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Word Origin and History for resensitization
1862, originally in photography, noun of action from sensitize.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The act or process of inducing an acquired sensitivity or allergy.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.