- the state or process of being sensitized.
- Psychology. the process of becoming susceptible to a given stimulus that previously had no effect or significance.
- a state or condition in which a previously encountered foreign substance triggers an immune reaction.
- an immunologic state or condition that is evidenced by the acquired ability of a cell or individual to detect the presence of a foreign substance upon reexposure to the substance and to react immunologically.
Origin of sensitization
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sensitization
Various skin rashes and eruptions are likewise associated with sensitization to certain foods.Food Poisoning
Edwin Oakes Jordan
Call the old tubercular diathesis a sensitization and you have made it the most modern of modern discoveries.
What if gout should prove to be a sensitization or anaphylaxis to uric acid that does not exist in the non-gouty?
Word Origin and History for sensitization
1862, originally in photography, noun of action from sensitize.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The act or process of inducing an acquired sensitivity or allergy.