- the state or fact of being responsible, answerable, or accountable for something within one's power, control, or management.
- an instance of being responsible: The responsibility for this mess is yours!
- a particular burden of obligation upon one who is responsible: the responsibilities of authority.
- a person or thing for which one is responsible: A child is a responsibility to its parents.
- reliability or dependability, especially in meeting debts or payments.
- on one's own responsibility, on one's own initiative or authority: He changed the order on his own responsibility.
Origin of responsibility
Synonyms for responsibilitySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for responsibilityduty, power, importance, restraint, authority, liability, guilt, burden, obligation, trust, capacity, honesty, loyalty, stability, efficiency, ability, culpability, albatross, onus, encumbrance
Examples from the Web for responsibility
Contemporary Examples of responsibility
What responsibility was taken by cops when they kill unjustly?Protesters Demand Justice For Gurley As Gap Grows Between Cops and NYC
December 28, 2014
“He had sat on a hundred different Committees of Responsibility,” writes King.McConaughey’s ‘Stand’—And Ours
December 5, 2014
Into the Woods takes on the responsibility of saying, “Stuff happens after happily ever after.”Anna Kendrick on Feminism, #GamerGate, and the Celebrity Hacking Attack
November 25, 2014
When one thinks of that, and the responsibility it entailed, it makes the hairs on the back of the neck move.Blood in the Sand: When James Jones Wrote a Grunt’s View of D-Day
November 15, 2014
And at $29.99, lighting up all sense of parental dignity and responsibility costs less than a carton of actual cigarettes.Sexy Ebola Nurse & More of the Year’s Worst Halloween Costumes
October 30, 2014
Historical Examples of responsibility
And we need a new sense of responsibility for a new century.
A person can be expected to act responsibly only if he has responsibility.
The responsibility for the breach is not under discussion here.The Conquest of Fear
And when you marry you will, as you know, be rid of the responsibility.Weighed and Wanting
Her responsibility was heavy on her; she made frequent rounds.K
Mary Roberts Rinehart
- the state or position of being responsible
- a person or thing for which one is responsible
- the ability or authority to act or decide on one's own, without supervision