- the act of retiring, withdrawing, or leaving; the state of being retired.
- the act of retiring or of leaving one's job, career, or occupation permanently, usually because of age: I'm looking forward to my retirement from teaching.
- the portion of a person's life during which a person is retired: What will you do in retirement?
- a pension or other income on which a retired person lives: His retirement is barely enough to pay the rent.
- removal of something from service or use: retirement of the space shuttle fleet.
- withdrawal of a jury from a courtroom to deliberate in private on a verdict.
- orderly withdrawal of a military force, according to plan, without pressure from the enemy.
- withdrawal of securities from the market by a corporation, as through payment at maturity, repurchase, or exchange.
- withdrawal into privacy or seclusion.
- privacy or seclusion.
- a private or secluded place.
- noting or pertaining to retirement: retirement pay.
Origin of retirement
Related Words for retirementevacuation, pullout, withdrawal, separation, pullback, fallback, flight, ebb, blockade, privacy, shelter, desolation, solitude, sequestration, aloofness, detachment, remoteness, aloneness, separateness, concealment
Examples from the Web for retirement
Contemporary Examples of retirement
He went on to be a star on the international circuit all the way until his retirement in 2013.The Story of the World’s Greatest Cricket Player
December 24, 2014
About a week later, Wolfinger announced his retirement after 27 years in office.Florida Cops on What Ferguson Can Learn From Trayvon
November 20, 2014
When it was all over, Protess had negotiated his retirement and left the school.Wrongly Imprisoned for 15 Years Thanks to an Innocence Project
November 13, 2014
In retirement, Frank is consciously trying to pare down and rein in.Richard Ford’s Artful Survivalist Guide: The Return of Frank Bascombe
November 4, 2014
It seems that, in the remaining few weeks before his retirement, Letterman is getting bold… or perhaps creepy.Anime Hologram Pop Stars, Return of ‘Fresh Prince’ Carlton, and More Viral Videos
October 12, 2014
Historical Examples of retirement
Mine is a life of privacy and retirement compared with that of other men.
The first of them ends with his retirement from the representation of Newark.The Grand Old Man
Richard B. Cook
It appeared as if the retirement of the two companies was the signal for their attack.
He ordered the first troop to mount, and the second to cover the retirement.
He was not the less alone for having spent so many years in seclusion and retirement.Barnaby Rudge
- the act of retiring from one's work, office, etc
- (as modifier)retirement age
- the period of being retired from workshe had many plans for her retirement
- seclusion from the world; privacy
- the act of going away or retreating