verb (used with object), tried, try·ing.
- to determine the truth or right of (a quarrel or question) by test or battle (sometimes followed by out).
- to find to be right by test or experience.
verb (used without object), tried, try·ing.
noun, plural tries.
Words nearby try
Idioms for try
- to put on airs: She's been trying it on ever since the inheritance came through.
- to be forward or presumptuous, especially with a member of the opposite sex: She avoided him after he'd tried it on with her.
Origin of try
SYNONYMS FOR try
OTHER WORDS FROM trypre·try, verb (used with object), pre·tried, pre·try·ing.re·try, verb, re·tried, re·try·ing.
usage note for try
Examples from the Web for retried
The men later were retried after revelations that they destroyed the in-flight videotape of the incident.U.S. Soldiers, Accused of Rape in Italy, Hope to Go Free in America|Barbie Latza Nadeau|July 25, 2014|DAILY BEAST
If the high court rules that the case must be retried, it goes back only to the appellate stage, not to square one.
Judge Walton has set a date of Sept. 2nd to determine whether Clemens should be retried.
If they cannot agree, the case must be retried before a new jury.Aids to Forensic Medicine and Toxicology|W. G. Aitchison Robertson
On the following day they returned to the judgment hall and retried the case.The Trial of Jesus from a Lawyer's Standpoint, Vol. I (of II)|Walter M. Chandler
She was tried and retried, and at last forty judges agreed that she must be burned at the stake.Curiosities of Christian History|Croake James
Defarge and his wife were the accusers this time, and he was to be retried.Tales from Dickens|Charles Dickens and Hallie Erminie Rives
The case was remarkable in that it was appealed twice to the Supreme Court and on the first appeal was retried.Lyman's History of old Walla Walla County, Vol. 1 (of 2)|William Denison Lyman
British Dictionary definitions for retried
verb tries, trying or tried
- to examine and determine the issues involved in (a cause) in a court of law
- to hear evidence in order to determine the guilt or innocence of (an accused)
- to sit as judge at the trial of (an issue or person)
noun plural tries
Word Origin for try
usage for try
Medicine definitions for retried
Idioms and Phrases with retried
In addition to the idioms beginning with try
- try on
- try one's hand
- try one's patience
- try out
- old college try
Also see undertried.