- contemplation of the past; a survey of past time, events, etc.
- to look back in thought; refer back (often followed by to): to retrospect to a period in one's youth.
- to look back upon; contemplate retrospectively.
- in retrospect, in looking back on past events; upon reflection: It was, in retrospect, the happiest day of her life.
Origin of retrospect
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for retrospect
To say this is not to ignore its radical character, especially in retrospect.How Havel Inspired the Velvet Revolution
December 6, 2014
“In retrospect, I think we were both surprised,” recalled Singh.As 30-Year Anniversary of Mass Killings in India Arrives, Sikhs Find Safety in USA
Simran Jeet Singh
October 31, 2014
In retrospect, 2009 and 2010 were halcyon days in the Middle East, now that we seem just one horseman short of an apocalypse.The Myth of the Central Park Five
October 19, 2014
“Only in retrospect did we appreciate our good fortune in being part of a utopian experiment in American journalism,” she writes.Gail Sheehy Books Passage to the Past
September 3, 2014
He struck many people there, at the time, not in retrospect, as arrogant and cold.When I Met Robin Williams in Afghanistan
August 20, 2014
The view of the future was as dreadful as the retrospect of the past.Tales And Novels, Volume 5 (of 10)
Somehow her parts seemed always to dwindle this way in retrospect.Audrey Craven
It was a mournful pull ashore, and tragic in the retrospect.Wild Justice: Stories of the South Seas
He racked his brain for a stray gleam of retrospect, but it was not forthcoming.Garrison's Finish
W. B. M. Ferguson
Yet now in the retrospect, it seems hardly to have been the retreat for an invalid.Mark Twain, A Biography, 1835-1910, Complete
Albert Bigelow Paine
- the act of surveying things past (often in the phrase in retrospect)
- to contemplate (anything past); look back on (something)
- (intr often foll by to) to refer
C17: from Latin retrōspicere to look back, from retro- + specere to look
Word Origin and History for retrospect
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper