verb (used with object), used, us·ing.
verb (used without object), used, us·ing.
- the enjoyment of property, as by the employment, occupation, or exercise of it.
- the benefit or profit of lands and tenements in the possession of another who simply holds them for the beneficiary.
- the equitable ownership of land to which the legal title is in another's name.
- to consume entirely.
- to exhaust of vigor or usefulness; finish: By the end of the war he felt used up and sick of life.
PRACTICE SOME ESCAPISM WITH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Idioms for use
- to have no occasion or need for: She appears to have no use for the city.
- to refuse to tolerate; discount: He had no use for his brother.
- to have a distaste for; dislike: He has no use for dictators.
Origin of use
SYNONYMS FOR use
usage note for use
OTHER WORDS FROM use
Words nearby use
Example sentences from the Web for reuse
Did the producers just reuse the Von Trapp children from last year and hope that no one would notice?‘Peter Pan Live!’ Review: No Amount of Clapping Brings It to Life|Kevin Fallon|December 5, 2014|DAILY BEAST
I remember how we had to reuse the wrinkled brown paper lunch bags with our names on them week after week.Remembering Ma Laureys, the Mother of 10 Christie Slandered to Win His First Election|Michael Daly|January 23, 2014|DAILY BEAST
But this is the equivalent of sending out a memo urging employees to reuse paper clips.
You can reuse the syrup to sweeten tea or make another batch of apple chips.
Ways to conserve and reuse water, together with economical desalting of sea water, will be essential in the decades ahead.
Notice — For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work.Makers|Cory Doctorow
Astronauts will not be able to take large supplies of food on their voyages and probably will have to reuse what they do take.
As sawdust of such fineness is expensive, it is desirable to purify it in order to reuse it.
For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work.Little Brother|Cory Doctorow
British Dictionary definitions for reuse (1 of 2)
verb (riːˈjuːz) (tr)
British Dictionary definitions for reuse (2 of 2)
verb (juːz) (tr)
- to have no need of
- to have a contemptuous dislike for
- to employ; use
- to exploit (a person)
Word Origin for use
Idioms and Phrases with reuse
In addition to the idioms beginning with use
- used to
- use one's head
- use up
- have no use for
- make use of
- no use
- put to good use
Also see underused.