an entrance door for excluding drafts from the interior of a building, usually consisting of four rigid leaves set in the form of a cross and rotating about a central, vertical pivot in the doorway.
- a company, institution, or organization with a high turnover of personnel or members.
- a legal, medical, or other system or agency that discharges criminals, patients, etc., in the shortest possible time and without adequate attention or consideration.
What Does 💞 Revolving Hearts Emoji Mean?The revolving hearts emoji depicts two tiny hearts orbiting each other (or spinning in a circle). Those little lines make it a different emoji than two hearts emoji ... what a difference!
Origin of revolving door
First recorded in 1905–10
Related formsre·volv·ing-door, adjective
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019
British Dictionary definitions for revolving door
a door that rotates about a central vertical axis, esp one with four leaves arranged at right angles to each other, thereby excluding draughts
- informal a tendency to change personnel on a frequent basis
- (as modifier)a revolving-door band
- informal the hiring of former government employees by private companies with which they had dealings when they worked for the government
- (as modifier)revolving-door consultancies
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012