- the bed or foundation structure for the track of a railroad.
- the layer of ballast immediately beneath the ties of a railroad track.
- the material of which a road is composed.
Origin of roadbed
Examples from the Web for roadbed
Historical Examples of roadbed
On the other side of the track was a deep ravine, dropping abruptly from the roadbed.Spring Street
James H. Richardson
The cut of the roadbed forms a base for the remainder of the snow.The White Desert
Courtney Ryley Cooper
They landed beside the roadbed, and the cars went on without them.The Bradys Beyond Their Depth
He worked at the lever and touched the 202 valve, and then leaped from his post to the roadbed.Chasing an Iron Horse
It was unsteady, indicating the uncertain character of the roadbed.Ralph on the Engine
- the material used to make a road
- a layer of ballast that supports the sleepers of a railway track