- the underside of a stone, brick, slate, tile, etc., laid in position.
- the upper side of a stone laid in position.
- the layer of mortar in which a brick, stone, etc., is laid.
- the natural stratification of a stone: a stone laid on bed.
- the canvas surface of a trampoline.
- the smooth, wooden floor of a bowling alley.
- the slate surface of a billiard table to which the cloth is fastened.
verb (used with object), bed·ded, bed·ding.
verb (used without object), bed·ded, bed·ding.
- to make a bed for (a person, animal, etc.).
- to retire to bed: They put out the fire and decided to bed down for the night.
TAKE THIS QUIZ IF A DAZZLING VOCABULARY IS YOUR DESIDERATUM!
Idioms for bed
- to retire, especially for the night.
- to engage in sexual relations.
- beneath the covers of a bed.
- engaged in sexual intercourse.
- to help (a child, invalid, etc.) go to bed.
- Printing. to lock up (forms) in a press in preparation for printing.
- to work on the preparation of (an edition of a newspaper, periodical, etc.) up to the time of going to press.
Origin of bed
OTHER WORDS FROM bedbedless, adjectivebedlike, adjectivein·ter·bed, adjective
Words nearby bed
Definition for bed (2 of 2)
Example sentences from the Web for bed
At night it flips over to reveal a true foam-mattress backside and create a 42-by-72-inch bed.
So sign up for a community garden space, turn over a backyard bed, or mount some planting boxes on your windows and get going.
At his bed and breakfast in southern Sweden, Carlsson used to rotate porridge duties with two friends, and guests always complimented their meals on days when he cooked.
A wall separated the office space from his bed around the corner.The Woman Propositioned by Alaska’s Former Lieutenant Governor Tells Her Story for the First Time|by Kyle Hopkins and Michelle Theriault Boots, Anchorage Daily News|September 10, 2020|ProPublica
For a-la-carte under bed storage, or bags that can move between beds, closets, and beyond, Dokehom has you covered.
My doctor insisted that once I filed this piece I lie down on my bed and not get out.I Tried to Warn You About Sleazy Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein in 2003|Vicky Ward|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
I fall back into a dream and then suddenly there is a tapping on the window just above my bed.The Story Behind Lee Marvin’s Liberty Valance Smile|Robert Ward|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
While violent offenses are dramatically down in Bed Stuy, pockets of violence persist here.
That was honestly the scariest thing about putting it to bed.
That was honestly the scariest thing about putting the show to bed.
She shivered delicately, and announced her intention of going to bed.The Woman from Outside|Hulbert Footner
When shall we know whether they are dead or alive, whether strong and healthy or moaning upon a bed in hospital?Six Women and the Invasion|Gabrielle Yerta
Mrs. Stoddart sat down by the bed, and presently Annette, as if conscious of her presence, opened her eyes.Notwithstanding|Mary Cholmondeley
Then without further hesitation I leaped out of bed and indignantly rushed to the window, but only on opening it to find him gone.Brownsmith's Boy|George Manville Fenn
An officer of Uhlans took me in and shared his bed on the floor of a cabin.Twenty Years in Europe|Samuel H. M. Byers
British Dictionary definitions for bed (1 of 2)
- a situation or position of extreme difficulty
- a bed studded with nails on which a fakir lies
- (often foll by with) to have sexual intercourse (with)
- journalism printing (of a newspaper, magazine, etc) to go to press; start printing
- journalism to finalize work on (a newspaper, magazine, etc) so that it is ready to go to press
- printing to lock up the type forme of (a publication) in the press before printing
verb beds, bedding or bedded
Word Origin for bed
British Dictionary definitions for bed (2 of 2)
Medical definitions for bed (1 of 2)
Medical definitions for bed (2 of 2)
Scientific definitions for bed
Idioms and Phrases with bed
In addition to the idioms beginning with bed
- bed and board
- bed and breakfast
- bed of roses
- early to bed
- get up on the wrong side of bed
- go to bed with
- make one's bed and lie in it
- make the bed
- put to bed
- should have stood in bed
- strange bedfellows