- the underside of a stone, brick, slate, tile, etc., laid in position.
- the upper side of a stone laid in position.
- the layer of mortar in which a brick, stone, etc., is laid.
- the natural stratification of a stone: a stone laid on bed.
- the canvas surface of a trampoline.
- the smooth, wooden floor of a bowling alley.
- the slate surface of a billiard table to which the cloth is fastened.
- to make a bed for (a person, animal, etc.).
- to retire to bed: They put out the fire and decided to bed down for the night.
Idioms about bed
- to retire, especially for the night.
- to engage in sexual relations.
- beneath the covers of a bed.
- engaged in sexual intercourse.
- to help (a child, invalid, etc.) go to bed.
- Printing. to lock up (forms) in a press in preparation for printing.
- to work on the preparation of (an edition of a newspaper, periodical, etc.) up to the time of going to press.
Origin of bed
OTHER WORDS FROM bedbedless, adjectivebedlike, adjectivein·ter·bed, adjective
Words nearby bed
Other definitions for bed (2 of 2)
How to use bed in a sentence
At night it flips over to reveal a true foam-mattress backside and create a 42-by-72-inch bed.
So sign up for a community garden space, turn over a backyard bed, or mount some planting boxes on your windows and get going.
At his bed and breakfast in southern Sweden, Carlsson used to rotate porridge duties with two friends, and guests always complimented their meals on days when he cooked.
A wall separated the office space from his bed around the corner.The Woman Propositioned by Alaska’s Former Lieutenant Governor Tells Her Story for the First Time|by Kyle Hopkins and Michelle Theriault Boots, Anchorage Daily News|September 10, 2020|ProPublica
For a-la-carte under bed storage, or bags that can move between beds, closets, and beyond, Dokehom has you covered.
My doctor insisted that once I filed this piece I lie down on my bed and not get out.I Tried to Warn You About Sleazy Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein in 2003|Vicky Ward|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
I fall back into a dream and then suddenly there is a tapping on the window just above my bed.The Story Behind Lee Marvin’s Liberty Valance Smile|Robert Ward|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
The distinction between over-policing and non-responsiveness was alive and well in Bed-Stuy.
At Woodhull Hospital, the Bed-Stuy ambulance crew kept doing all they could as they wheeled Ramos into the emergency room.'Please Don't Die!': The Frantic Battle to Save Murdered Cops|Michael Daly|December 22, 2014|DAILY BEAST
While violent offenses are dramatically down in Bed Stuy, pockets of violence persist here.
She sat straight up in bed, and jerked her hands to her head, and screamed long and terribly.The Homesteader|Oscar Micheaux
The embankment or road-bed was commenced by gigantic piling, and is very broad and substantial.Glances at Europe|Horace Greeley
Gaze not upon another man's wife, and be not inquisitive after his handmaid, and approach not her bed.The Bible, Douay-Rheims Version|Various
A little boy had been quarrelling with his sister named Muriel just before going to bed.Children's Ways|James Sully
She folded them tightly in a handkerchief, and thrust the parcel as far as her arm could reach between the mattress and the bed.Checkmate|Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
British Dictionary definitions for bed (1 of 2)
- a situation or position of extreme difficulty
- a bed studded with nails on which a fakir lies
- (often foll by with) to have sexual intercourse (with)
- journalism printing (of a newspaper, magazine, etc) to go to press; start printing
- journalism to finalize work on (a newspaper, magazine, etc) so that it is ready to go to press
- printing to lock up the type forme of (a publication) in the press before printing
Word Origin for bed
British Dictionary definitions for bed (2 of 2)
Scientific definitions for bed
Other Idioms and Phrases with bed
In addition to the idioms beginning with bed
- bed and board
- bed and breakfast
- bed of roses
- early to bed
- get up on the wrong side of bed
- go to bed with
- make one's bed and lie in it
- make the bed
- put to bed
- should have stood in bed
- strange bedfellows