noun, plural roofs.
verb (used with object)
Words nearby roof
Idioms for roof
- to increase beyond all expectations: Foreign travel may very well go through the roof next year.
- Also hit the roof,Informal. to lose one's temper; become extremely angry.
- to create a loud noise: The applause raised the roof.
- to complain or protest noisily: He'll raise the roof when he sees that bill.
Origin of roof
OTHER WORDS FROM roof
Examples from the Web for roofs
Rooftop solar—individual homeowners putting generating systems on their roofs—is also booming in Arizona.
“It pretty much looks like taking a central solar plant and allocating it across 3,000 roofs,” said Rumido.
I know the poorer neighborhoods where the people slept on the roofs and would look at us in awe when we asked for their help.
Chili peppers were everywhere, drying on mats, on roofs, and in fields.
Homeowners may want them on their roofs—but not for $30,000 upfront.Solar Panels Now Being Offered as a Prebuilt Feature in California|Daniel Gross|May 20, 2014|DAILY BEAST
I repaired the carts; made paths in the garden, dug the beds, painted the roofs.The House with the Mezzanine and Other Stories|Anton Tchekoff
The roofs of their houses are pointed too at the top, and are turned up at the edges.The Pharaoh and the Priest|Alexander Glovatski
The roofs project far over the eaves, and are held down by rows of heavy stones to keep them from blowing off in wind-storms.Glimpses of Three Coasts|Helen Hunt Jackson
They sounded like thousands of whirring wheels, and they dropped on the roofs with a noise like rain.Trooper Bluegum at the Dardanelles|Oliver Hogue
Here and there a village abruptly spread out its roofs, which rotated on the axis of a spire.Sacrifice|Stephen French Whitman
British Dictionary definitions for roofs
noun plural roofs (ruːfs, ruːvz)
- a structure that covers or forms the top of a building
- (in combination)the rooftop
- (as modifier)a roof garden
- to get extremely angry; become furious
- to rise or increase steeply
- to create a boisterous disturbance
- to react or protest heatedly
Derived forms of roofroofer, nounroofless, adjectiverooflike, adjective
Word Origin for roof
Medicine definitions for roofs
Idioms and Phrases with roofs
In addition to the idiom beginning with roof
- roof over one's head, a
- go through the roof
- hit the ceiling (roof)
- like a cat on hot bricks (a hot tin roof)
- raise the roof