- to look about or stare with great curiosity, as by craning the neck or turning the head.
- to gawk at: The tieup was due to drivers rubbernecking an accident.
- a sightseer; tourist.
- an extremely curious person.
Origin of rubberneck
Examples from the Web for rubberneck
Historical Examples of rubberneck
The Rubberneck coach lingered, out of respect for its patrons.The Four Million
The paid guides and the "rubberneck wagons" have completed the ruin.The Personality of American Cities
Women ought to have everything they own fastened to them with rubberneck elastics.The Climbers
The most popular slang expression of the day is "to rubberneck," or, more concisely, "to rubber."America To-day, Observations and Reflections
Drivers of passing cars slowed down to rubberneck, and a few shouted filthy, vengeful things at them.Makers
- a person who stares or gapes inquisitively, esp in a naive or foolish manner
- a sightseer or tourist
- (intr) to stare in a naive or foolish manner