- any of several diseases of plants, characterized by reddish, brownish, or black pustules on the leaves, stems, etc., caused by fungi of the order Uredinales.
- Also called rust fungus . a fungus causing this disease.
- any of several other diseases of unknown cause, characterized by reddish-brown spots or discolorations on the affected parts.
verb (used without object)
verb (used with object)
BECOME A PRO CHEF WITH THIS EXQUISITE CUISINE QUIZ!
Origin of rust
OTHER WORDS FROM rustde·rust, verb (used with object)un·rust, verb (used with object)
Example sentences from the Web for rust
Oxygen is an extremely reactive chemical, corroding metals, rusting iron, and fueling fires.Why Did It Take So Long For Complex Life To Evolve On Earth? Blame Oxygen.|Matthew R. Francis|November 2, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Quality can be found in the most mundane works of man—even within the rusting gears of a motorcycle engine.Zen, Motorcycles, And The Cult of Tech: How Robert Pirsig’s Classic Anticipated the Future|Nathaniel Rich|August 31, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The crude, rusting poles are piled side-by-side in a snowdrift of steel on the floor of the Hirshhorn.Chinese Hold Ai WeiWei’s Passport, Denies Access to Art Opening|Blake Gopnik|October 8, 2012|DAILY BEAST
Ultimately, he's attempting to set a new course for an overweight and rusting battleship.Mayor Rahm Emanuel Reaches Flawed Deal to End Chicago Teachers Strike|James Warren|September 19, 2012|DAILY BEAST
Saying the Syrian military is “rusting,” Hijab claimed Assad now controls just 30 percent of the country's land.Former Syrian Prime Minister Riyad Hijab Calls Regime an ‘Enemy of God’|Mike Giglio|August 14, 2012|DAILY BEAST
The novice is therefore cautioned not to use this ammunition until the difficulty of rusting is overcome.Pistol and Revolver Shooting|A. L. A. Himmelwright
Conall, it's long since my knife is rusting in my pouch waiting for thy tender flesh.'Fairy Tales; Their Origin and Meaning|John Thackray Bunce
They should be prevented from rusting by being painted with an anti-rust mixture.The Aeroplane Speaks|H. Barber
Her mental troubles came from a lack of responsibility—a rusting away of unused powers in a dull, monotonous round of commonplace.Little Journeys to the Homes of the Great, Vol. 2 of 14|Elbert Hubbard
The rusting of iron is, to all intents and purposes, the slow burning of iron.Six Lectures on Light|John Tyndall
British Dictionary definitions for rust
- any basidiomycetous fungus of the order Uredinales, parasitic on cereal plants, conifers, etc
- any of various plant diseases characterized by reddish-brown discoloration of the leaves and stem, esp that caused by the rust fungi
- a strong brown colour, sometimes with a reddish or yellowish tinge
- (as adjective)a rust carpet
Derived forms of rustrustless, adjective
Word Origin for rust
Medical definitions for rust
Scientific definitions for rust
- Any of various basidiomycete fungi that are parasitic on plants and produce reddish or brownish spots on leaves. Rusts attack a wide variety of plants and can cause enormous damage to crops.
- Any of the various plant diseases caused by these fungi.