- a person who maintains that the Eucharistic elements have only symbolic significance and are not corporeal manifestations of Christ.
- (lowercase) a sacramentalist.
- of or relating to the Sacramentarians.
- (lowercase) of or relating to the sacraments.
Origin of Sacramentarian
Examples from the Web for sacramentarian
Historical Examples of sacramentarian
I am a poor Sacramentarian, and can hardly recollect what I have hitherto lived on, it was so bloody-desperate little.Titan: A Romance v. 1 (of 2)
Jean Paul Friedrich Richter
An element of truth does indeed underlie the sacramentarian interpretation of Paul.The Origin of Paul's Religion
J. Gresham Machen
Sacramentarian, a High Churchman who attaches a special sacred virtue to the sacraments of the Church.The Nuttall Encyclopaedia
Edited by Rev. James Wood
The main difference was in the attitude to the Roman allegiance and to the sacramentarian system.
- any Protestant theologian, such as Zwingli, who maintained that the bread and wine of the Eucharist were the body and blood of Christ only in a figurative sense and denied His real presence in these elements
- one who believes in sacramentalism
- of or relating to Sacramentarians
- (not capital) of or relating to sacraments