- a document authorizing safe passage through a region, especially in time of war.
- this privilege.
- the act of conducting in safety.
Origin of safe-conduct
Related Words for safe-conductticket, acceptance, passing, ratification, legislation, establishment, license, key, permit, warrant, authorization, visa, charter, go-ahead, permission, patent, consent, grant, passport, privilege
Examples from the Web for safe-conduct
Historical Examples of safe-conduct
A safe-conduct to the frontier, and fifty thousand pounds English.The Prisoner of Zenda
He had procured that very morning the safe-conduct that was required for the journey.The Downfall
If your lordship will promise liberty and safe-conduct to my sister and myself.Mistress Wilding
On November 13 Cesare was ready to leave Rome; but no safe-conduct had arrived.The Life of Cesare Borgia
"We might arrange with him for the safe-conduct of this gentleman," he suggested.Love-at-Arms
- a document giving official permission to travel through a region, esp in time of war
- the protection afforded by such a document
- to conduct (a person) in safety
- to give a safe-conduct to