[seynt got-erd; German zahngkt gawt-hahrt]
- a mountain range in S Switzerland; a part of the Alps; highest peak, 10,490 feet (3195 meters).
- a mountain pass over this range. 6935 feet (2115 meters) high.
- a railway tunnel under this pass. 9¼ miles (15 km) long.
French St. Go·thard [san-gaw-tar] /sɛ̃ gɔˈtær/.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a range of the Lepontine Alps in SE central Switzerland
- a pass over the St Gotthard mountains, in S Switzerland. Height: 2114 m (6935 ft)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012