- a city in and the capital of Loire, in SE France.
- a river in France, flowing NW and W into the Atlantic: the longest river in France. 625 miles (1005 km) long.
- a department in central France. 1853 sq. mi. (4800 sq. km). Capital: St.-Étienne.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a town in E central France: a major producer of textiles and armaments. Pop: 180 210 (1999)
- a department of E central France, in Rhône-Alpes region. Capital: St Étienne. Pop: 726 613 (2003 est). Area: 4799 sq km (1872 sq miles)
- a river in France, rising in the Massif Central and flowing north and west in a wide curve to the Bay of Biscay: the longest river in France. Its valley is famous for its wines and châteaux. Length: 1020 km (634 miles)Ancient name: Liger
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012