- to form into a salt, as by chemical combination.
- to mix or combine with a salt.
Origin of salify
Examples from the Web for salifiable
Historical Examples of salifiable
Brom′ate, a combination of bromic acid with a salifiable base; Brom′ide, a combination of bromine with a base.
They resist saponification, and (excepting oil of cloves) do not combine with the salifiable bases.
It combines with the salifiable bases in a nearly similar manner to oil of cloves.
All its combinations with salifiable bases were unknown to the ancient chemists.
The order of affinity of the salifiable bases with this acid is hitherto unknown.
- to treat, mix with, or cause to combine with a salt
- to convert (a substance) into a saltto salify ammonia by treatment with hydrochloric acid
Word Origin for salify
- Capable of being made into a salt. Used of a base that combines with acids to make salts.