- Samuel,1797–1868, Irish novelist, painter, and songwriter.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a person, now esp a man, who has an extramarital or premarital sexual relationship with another person
- (often plural) either of the two people involved in a love affair
- someone who loves a specified person or thinga lover of music
- (in combination)a music-lover; a cat-lover
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for samuel lover
early 13c., agent noun from love (v.). Old English had lufend for male lovers, lufestre for women. Meaning "one who has a predilection for" (a thing, concept, pursuit, etc.) is mid-14c. As a form of address to a lover, from 1911. Related: Loverly.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper