- to set upon violently; attack from or as if from ambush.
- to coerce or intimidate, as by threats: The election committee was sandbagged into nominating the officers for a second term.
- to thwart or cause to fail or be rejected, especially surreptitiously or without warning: He sandbagged our proposal with his snide remarks to the boss.
- Poker. to deceive (one or more opponents) into remaining in the pot by refraining from betting on a strong hand, then raising the bet in a later round.
- Informal. to gain an advantage over (one or more competitors) by concealing one's abilities or other strengths early in a game or other competitive activity.
- Informal. to gain an advantage by concealing or downplaying the strengths of (something): companies that sandbag their earnings estimates and then easily beat them to make everyone happy.
- Poker. to sandbag one or more opponents.
- Informal. to sandbag an opponent or competitor: guys that sandbag and fall back a little in the first race to get a better starting spot in the second.
OTHER WORDS FROM sandbagsandbagger, noun
Words nearby sandbag
How to use sandbag in a sentence
You’ll need a moderate weight, a heavy weight, a pull-up bar, a rope, and a sandbag—feel free to improvise, though, using whatever household items you have.
Buyers, they said, would have a harder time getting state approval for emergency sandbags, for instance, if they were officially warned of the risks of coastal living beforehand.Some Hawaii Homeowners Damage Beaches to Protect Their Homes. A New Law Could Help Change That.|by Sophie Cocke, Honolulu Star-Advertiser|July 2, 2021|ProPublica
Wearing helmets, gas masks and shields, they have been hurling homemade projectiles from behind makeshift barriers made of sandbags and debris.As Myanmar's Junta Intensifies Its Crackdown, Pro-Democracy Protesters Prepare for Civil War|Kyaw Hsan Hlaing / Yangon|April 7, 2021|Time
The department declined the request, fined the couple $2,000 and told them to remove the illegal sandbags.
The official did not provide a deadline for removing the sandbags.
One strip, Foolish Grandpa and Sour Henry, shows Grandpa being hit on the head by a sandbag and blown up by dynamite.
A couple more peer through spy holes in the sandbag barricades that line the perimeter.Ukraine’s Pro-Putin Rebels Prepare for a Last Stand|David Patrikarakos|July 10, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Factors ranging from the sequester to the ongoing crisis in Europe have the capacity to sandbag the economic expansion.Economic Data Show That, at Last, (Many of) the Fundamentals Are Sound|Daniel Gross|April 2, 2013|DAILY BEAST
Did Google just sandbag its rivals in the smartphone market?
From a sandbag protection at one corner of the cemetery there is a view on all sides to the horizon.The Relief of Mafeking|Filson Young
And he fetches a small sandbag and gives it to the stretcher-bearer.
One of them struck at him, while another attempted to sandbag him from behind.
This leap saved him from being stretched unconscious by the sandbag.
The man slid his rifle-barrel over a sandbag, raised his head and took hasty aim, fired, and ducked quickly down again.Grapes of wrath|Boyd Cable