- to set upon violently; attack from or as if from ambush.
- to coerce or intimidate, as by threats: The election committee was sandbagged into nominating the officers for a second term.
- to thwart or cause to fail or be rejected, especially surreptitiously or without warning: He sandbagged our proposal with his snide remarks to the boss.
- Poker. to deceive (one or more opponents) into remaining in the pot by refraining from betting on a strong hand, then raising the bet in a later round.
- Informal. to gain an advantage over (one or more competitors) by concealing one's abilities or other strengths early in a game or other competitive activity.
- Informal. to gain an advantage by concealing or downplaying the strengths of (something): companies that sandbag their earnings estimates and then easily beat them to make everyone happy.
- Poker. to sandbag one or more opponents.
- Informal. to sandbag an opponent or competitor: guys that sandbag and fall back a little in the first race to get a better starting spot in the second.
OTHER WORDS FROM sandbagsandbagger, noun
How to use sandbag in a sentence
More than a quarter of those involved permitting emergency sandbags to protect properties from lashing waves and rising sea levels.Hawaii Officials Promise Changes to Seawall Policies That Have Quickened Beach Destruction|by Mindy Pennybacker and Sophie Cocke, Honolulu Star-Advertiser|December 31, 2020|ProPublica
Others get state approvals to use sandbags and heavy tarps, which can have the same damaging effects as seawalls.Officials Let Hawaii’s Waterfront Homeowners Damage Public Beaches Again and Again|by Sophie Cocke, Honolulu Star-Advertiser|December 31, 2020|ProPublica
The permits are typically limited to three years, but the sandbags are rarely removed when they expire, according to a review of hundreds of pages of documents by the Honolulu Star-Advertiser and ProPublica.How Famous Surfers and Wealthy Homeowners Are Endangering Hawaii’s Beaches|by Sophie Cocke, Honolulu Star-Advertiser|December 5, 2020|ProPublica
He said his office regularly evaluates the sandbags and any impacts they are having on the beach and reserves the right to terminate the permits at any time, though records indicate that rarely happens.How Famous Surfers and Wealthy Homeowners Are Endangering Hawaii’s Beaches|by Sophie Cocke, Honolulu Star-Advertiser|December 5, 2020|ProPublica
Two homeowners asked the state for permission to erect mounds of sandbags along the beach for protection.How Famous Surfers and Wealthy Homeowners Are Endangering Hawaii’s Beaches|by Sophie Cocke, Honolulu Star-Advertiser|December 5, 2020|ProPublica
We’re sandbagging and they said, ‘Can we have as quick couple of drinks before the impending doom and gloom?New York’s Oldest Bar Stays Afloat|Michael Daly|October 29, 2013|DAILY BEAST
Perhaps he thought their question merely a footpad's introduction to a sandbagging episode.Excuse Me!|Rupert Hughes
Sandbagging, binding, and pistoling had all failed to lift him to such a height of resentment at this.Rayton: A Backwoods Mystery|Theodore Goodridge Roberts
Some new sandbagging on Wabash Avenue, I suppose, and nothing else.An Annapolis First Classman|Lt.Com Edward L. Beach
There are half-breed rascals in the port who wouldn't hesitate about sandbagging or stabbing you for a few dollars.The Coast of Adventure|Harold Bindloss