- of or relating to health or the conditions affecting health, especially with reference to cleanliness, precautions against disease, etc.
- favorable to health; free from dirt, bacteria, etc.: a sanitary washroom.
- providing healthy cleanliness: a sanitary wrapper on all sandwiches.
Origin of sanitary
Synonyms for sanitary
Antonyms for sanitary
Examples from the Web for sanitarily
Historical Examples of sanitarily
The population will be housed more comfortably and sanitarily.Woman under socialism
- of or relating to health and measures for the protection of health
- conducive to or promoting health; free from dirt, germs, etc; hygienic
Word Origin for sanitary
1823, "pertaining to health," from French sanitaire (1812), from Latin sanitas "health," from sanus "healthy; sane" (see sane). In reference to menstrual pads, first attested 1881 (in sanitary towel).
- Of or relating to health.
- Free from elements, such as filth or pathogens, that endanger health; hygienic.