- consisting of sapphire; like sapphire, especially in color.
- a pale-blue or greenish, usually granular mineral, a silicate of magnesium and aluminum.
- a blue variety of spinel.
Origin of sapphirine
Examples from the Web for sapphirine
Historical Examples of sapphirine
Whatever there was in the bit of sapphirine blue, it had life.The Blind Spot
In spiders they are often of a sapphirine colour, and clear as crystal.An Introduction to Entomology: Vol. III (of 4)
Ghosts—ghosts—the sapphirine air Teems with them even to the gleaming ends Of the wild day-spring!The Song of the Sword
W. E. Henley
He would have taken her hand on this, but the grave, direct gaze of her sapphirine eyes restrained him.
Her sapphirine eyes were shining, her hands lay inert in her lap, her lips quivered softly.
- a rare blue or bluish-green mineral that consists of magnesium aluminium silicate in monoclinic crystalline form and occurs as small grains in some metamorphic rocks
- a blue variety of spinel
- relating to or resembling sapphire