- Psychology. of or relating to a personality disorder marked by dissociation, passivity, withdrawal, inability to form warm social relationships, and indifference to praise or criticism.
- Informal. of or relating to schizophrenia or to multiple personality.
- a schizoid person.
Origin of schizoid
1920–25; schiz- + -oid
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for schizoid
Yes, yes; that is the diagnosis, "personality pattern disturbance with schizoid features and passive-aggressive tendencies."
Lee has to be diagnosed as 'personality pattern disturbance with schizoid features and passive-aggressive tendencies.'
- psychol denoting a personality disorder characterized by lack of close relationships with other people and more than usual self-absorption
- informal, offensive characterized by or showing conflicting or contradictory attitudes, ideas, etc
- a person who has a schizoid personality
Rather than referring to someone as a schizoid it is better to talk about a person with a schizoid personality disorder
Word Origin and History for schizoid
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Of, relating to, or having a personality marked by extreme shyness, seclusiveness, and an inability to form close friendships or social relationships.
- Schizophrenic. No longer in scientific use.
- A schizoid or schizophrenic person.