- learning; knowledge acquired by study; the academic attainments of a scholar.
- a sum of money or other aid granted to a student, because of merit, need, etc., to pursue his or her studies.
- the position or status of such a student.
- a foundation to provide financial assistance to students.
Origin of scholarship
SynonymsSee more synonyms for scholarship on Thesaurus.com
1. See learning.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for scholarship
This is both an outstanding work of scholarship and a commanding visual document.The Best Coffee Table Books of 2014
December 13, 2014
He won a scholarship to Villanova and ended up here in Lawrence.Freedom From Fear for Dreamer Kids
November 24, 2014
Time and again, he has highlighted my scholarship and I have never felt that he has short-changed me.Can Fareed Zakaria Survive A Plagiarism Firestorm?
November 12, 2014
Affordability (20%): Net price of attendance after deducting grants and scholarship aid (NCES).The Daily Beast College Rankings Methodology
November 5, 2014
One of his kinder letters of recommendation warned that his scholarship was “open to the charge of sensationalism.”Wonder Woman’s Creation Story Is Wilder Than You Could Ever Imagine
November 3, 2014
I've passed all my high school examinations and I've a scholarship too.Grace Harlowe's Return to Overton Campus
Jessie Graham Flower
They at least will understand that scholarship knows no nationality.The Dramatic Values in Plautus
Wilton Wallace Blancke
There was to be scholarship and company and curiosity and enquiry.Changing Winds
St. John G. Ervine
He too was full of his own affairs, for he had just been up to try for a scholarship at Oxford.Howards End
E. M. Forster
He was a weakling, and had no love of boyish sports; but he excelled in scholarship.A Son of Hagar
Sir Hall Caine
- academic achievement; erudition; learning
- financial aid provided for a scholar because of academic merit
- the position of a student who gains this financial aid
- (as modifier)a scholarship student
- the qualities of a scholar
Word Origin and History for scholarship
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper