- Metallurgy. the refuse, dross, or slag left after melting or smelting metal; scum.
- Geology. a cinderlike basic cellular lava.
Origin of scoria
Related Words for scoriaslag, magma, basalt, lava, slack, smut, ember, char, stoke, carbon, fuel, cinder, spark, charcoal, culm, scoria, ash, anthracite, refuse, trash
Examples from the Web for scoria
Historical Examples of scoria
Here, Oliver, lad, look at the great pieces of scoria and pumice.Fire Island
G. Manville Fenn
The scoria is let off occasionally, through holes made for the purpose.Popular Technology; Volume 2
Rabbits burrow in the heaps of scoria on the slopes of the mountains.
The telescope reveals a parapet of scoria on the brim, as on Teneriffe.The Andes and the Amazon
On approaching nearer the apex, the path was over cinders, fine black sand, and scoria.
- a rough cindery crust on top of solidified lava flows containing numerous vesicles
- refuse obtained from smelted ore; slag
Word Origin for scoria
- Rough, crusty, solidified lava containing numerous vesicles that originated as gas bubbles in the lava while it was still molten.