- Metallurgy. the refuse, dross, or slag left after melting or smelting metal; scum.
- Geology. a cinderlike basic cellular lava.
Origin of scoria
Related Words for scoriaeslag, magma, basalt, lava, slack, smut, ember, char, stoke, carbon, fuel, cinder, spark, charcoal, culm, scoria, ash, anthracite, refuse, trash
Examples from the Web for scoriae
Historical Examples of scoriae
They are at a depth of about 12 ft., in slaty shale containing Llandeilo fossils and contemporaneous felspathic ash and scoriae.
In some instances the cones are quite intact, and the beds of ash and scoriae are as yet almost unaffected by denuding agencies.
The solid matter thrown out by volcanoes consists of lapilli, scoriae, dust and bombs.
Along these fissures, in a few days, scoriae cones appeared; on one occasion no less than thirty-six in number.
After the scoriae have been skimmed off, the upper and purer portion of the mass is refined, and the lower part re-melted.The Mines and its Wonders
- a rough cindery crust on top of solidified lava flows containing numerous vesicles
- refuse obtained from smelted ore; slag
Word Origin for scoria
- Rough, crusty, solidified lava containing numerous vesicles that originated as gas bubbles in the lava while it was still molten.