- any fish of the genus Hippocampus, of the pipefish family, having a prehensile tail, an elongated snout, and a head bent at right angles to the body.
- a fabled marine animal with the foreparts of a horse and the hind parts of a fish.
- a walrus.
Origin of sea horse
Examples from the Web for sea-horse
Historical Examples of sea-horse
Others, like the cat-fish and sea-horse, are rare—in England, at any rate.
The animal is sometimes known as the sea-horse, and also as the morse.The Animal World, A Book of Natural History
Amongst them invariably appears a representation of a sea-horse or a dolphin.Portrait Miniatures
George C. Williamson
Belfast has the sea-horse for sinister supporter and also for crest.Fictitious & Symbolic Creatures in Art
In what ways is the Sea-horse so different from most other fish?Within the Deep
R. Cadwallader Smith
- any marine teleost fish of the temperate and tropical genus Hippocampus, having a bony-plated body, a prehensile tail, and a horselike head and swimming in an upright position: family Syngnathidae (pipefishes)
- an archaic name for the walrus
- a fabled sea creature with the tail of a fish and the front parts of a horse