verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
- the act of searching; careful examination or investigation: Her date with the guy she met online went badly, so her search for “Mr. Right” continues.
- an instance of this: Did the search turn up any clues?
PRACTICE SOME ESCAPISM WITH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Idioms for search
Origin of search
OTHER WORDS FROM search
Words nearby search
British Dictionary definitions for search me
- to explore (a bodily cavity) during a surgical procedure
- to probe (a wound)
- a review of a file to locate specific information
- (as modifier)a search routine
Derived forms of searchsearchable, adjectivesearcher, noun
Word Origin for search
Idioms and Phrases with search me (1 of 2)
I don't know the answer to that, as in Where's John?—Search me, I haven't seen him for weeks. This expression in effect means “you can investigate me completely for the information you want but you won't find it.” [Slang; c. 1900]
Idioms and Phrases with search me (2 of 2)
In addition to the idiom beginning with search
- search me
- high and low, search
- in search of