- the officials or office entrusted with administrative duties, maintaining records, and overseeing or performing secretarial duties, especially for an international organization: the secretariat of the United Nations.
- a group or department of secretaries.
- the place where a secretary transacts business, preserves records, etc.
Origin of secretariat
Examples from the Web for secretariat
Contemporary Examples of secretariat
And also the Secretary General of the United Nations has also invited me to the Secretariat of the U.N. in New York.Will There Soon Be Three Living Popes?
Barbie Latza Nadeau
August 19, 2014
But as hard as she tried, she couldn't help but make her pastel cardigan titillating in Secretariat.Is Diane Lane Too Sexy for Hillary?
July 29, 2013
They also failed to include a single woman among the 40 secretariat seats.Post Election, Obama Gambles on Syrian Rebels
November 10, 2012
The field is so weak it would make a lame old plowhorse look like Secretariat.
Historical Examples of secretariat
He's got a job at the secretariat, and he tries to help me all he can.Jan and Her Job
L. Allen Harker
Mr. Burgesss health was undermined by excessive work in the secretariat.A Civil Servant in Burma
Herbert Thirkel White
An increase to the Secretariat had been sanctioned in April, 1887.The Pacification of Burma
Sir Charles Haukes Todd Crosthwaite
“We've got bets in the Secretariat on who will be the next,” she told him.
The Secretariat were in a state of disturbance and expectation.
- an office responsible for the secretarial, clerical, and administrative affairs of a legislative body, executive council, or international organization
- the staff of such an office
- the building or rooms in which such an office is housed
- a body of secretaries
- a secretary's place of work; office
- the position of a secretary
Word Origin for secretariat
"office of secretary," 1811, from French secrétariat, from Medieval Latin secretariatus, from secretarius (see secretary). Meaning "division of the Central Committeee of the USSR" is from 1926, from Russian sekretariat.