- secular spirit or tendency, especially a system of political or social philosophy that rejects all forms of religious faith and worship.
- the view that public education and other matters of civil policy should be conducted without the introduction of a religious element.
Origin of secularism
Related Words for secularismblasphemy, fallacy, dissent, infidelity, defection, impiety, disbelief, nonconformity, divergence, schism, atheism, error, apostasy, sin, dissidence, revisionism, iconoclasm, secularism, heterodoxy, agnosticism
Examples from the Web for secularism
Contemporary Examples of secularism
Nevertheless, the triumph of West Coast spiritualism over East Coast secularism has civilization-wide implications.Can Heritage Foundation Posterboy Bono Save the GOP?
March 15, 2014
For this Muslim-majority nation, secularism was not a momentary reaction to Pakistani brutality.Bangladesh’s Unfinished War
K. Anis Ahmed
March 11, 2013
Bennett is genteel, an elite solider, someone who is as comfortable with secularism as he is with his religiosity.Why I Like Naftali Bennett
January 17, 2013
“We are the last stronghold of secularism and stability in the region,” he said.Syria’s Assad to West: ‘I Am Tougher Than Gaddafi’
November 8, 2012
For the religiously committed, the rise of secularism powerfully facilitated the cause of cooperation among fervent believers.Why Romney’s Mormonism Has Caused No Backlash Among GOP Faithful
October 29, 2012
Historical Examples of secularism
Had she not always been strongly biased in favor of secularism?
What do they know about the thousand difficulties which have driven people into secularism?
Complacency cannot understand reverence, nor secularism, religion.The Approach to Philosophy
Ralph Barton Perry
Any departure from them in an institution, proves its secularism.Monks, Popes, and their Political Intrigues
What connection does he discover between Secularism and selfishness?Flowers of Freethought
George W. Foote
- philosophy a doctrine that rejects religion, esp in ethics
- the attitude that religion should have no place in civil affairs
- the state of being secular