- a plant or tree grown from a seed.
- a tree not yet 3 feet (1 meter) high.
- any young plant, especially one grown in a nursery for transplanting.
Origin of seedling
Related Words for seedlingflower, shrub, tree, vine, grass, seedling, weed, herb, sapling, wood, forest, timber, shoot, perennial, slip, annual, bush, cutting, sprout, greenery
Examples from the Web for seedling
Historical Examples of seedling
His hand had planted the seedling, and now—already the wilderness was beyond all control.The Golden Woman
It is a seedling of Concord out of the same lot of seedlings as Moore Early.
It is a seedling of Wyoming, which it resembles in fruit and vine and surpasses in both.
The fruit resembles that of Concord, of which it is probably a seedling.
But the branch may have sprung from the stock, which no doubt was a seedling.
- a very young plant produced from a seed
- A young plant, especially one that grows from a seed rather than from a cutting. See Note at germination.